Big Casino is a single and track 1 of 11 on Jimmy Eat World's album Chase This Light and was released on August 28, 2007. The title of the song is a direct reference to Jim Adkins side-project Go Big Casino   .
- Chase This Light All Editions
- Rock Essentials Volume 1
- Chase This Light Tour - Brixton Academy
- Chase This Light Tour - Birmingham Academy
- Chase This Light Tour - Manchester Academy
- Big Casino (single)
- Holiday 2007 Live EP
- Always Be (single) Live Version
- iTunes Festival: London 2011
Before this world starts up again
It's me and night
We wait for the sun
The kids and drunks head back inside
Well, there's lots of smart ideas in books I've never read
When the girls come talk to me, I wish to hell I had
(Get up, get up) Turn the ignition
(Get up, get up) Fire up the system
Play my little part in something big
I'll accept with poise, with grace
When they draw my name from the lottery
And they'll say, "All the salt in the world couldn't melt that ice."
I'm the one who gets away
I'm a New Jersey success story
And they'll say, "Lord, give me a chance to shake that hand."
Back when I was younger, I was someone you'd've liked
Got an old guitar I've had for years I'd let you buy
And I'll tell you something else that you ain't dying enough to know
There's still some living left when your prime comes and goes
[Pre-Chorus] (Get up, get up) Dance on the ceiling (Get up, get up) Boy, you must be dreaming Rock on young saviour, don't give up your hopes
[Chorus] I'll accept with poise, with grace When they draw my name from the lottery And they'll say, "All the salt in the world couldn't melt that ice." I'm the one who gets away I'm a New Jersey success story And they'll say, "Lord, give me a chance to shake that hand."
[Bridge] I have one last wish And it's from my heart Just let me down Just let me down, easy
[Chorus] I'll accept with poise, with grace When they draw my name from the lottery And they'll say, "All the salt in the world couldn't melt that ice." I'm the one who gets away I'm a New Jersey success story And they'll say, "Lord, give me a chance to shake his hand." (They'll say)
Reception with Charting Data/Certification/Sales Data
Possible Demo Version
It is speculated this song is a reworked version of Big Cars from the Futures"Trombino sessions" demo recordings (which can be found here: http://futurespassed.com/stephen_brand/web-design/futures-mark-trombino-sessions-jimmy-eat-world.phpand here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMoB_guBSes)
An unknown live version of this song appears on Chase This Light Japanese Deluxe edition. This version is 3:30 long. This may also be the live version that appears on the Always Be (single) 7" Vinyl, listed as recorded by Mike Souder and mixed by Jim Adkins and mastered by Pete Doell at Universal Mastering Studios-West. The Always Be Vinyl shows the length of this track as 3:29.
A version of this song from the Tempe Sessions appears on Chase This Light Japanese Deluxe edition. This version is slightly shorter at 3:30 long.
- ThrowbackThursday Listening to @JimmyEatWorld’s 2007 song “Big Casino”,
- https://consequence.net/2021/07/dissected-jimmy-eat-world-with-jim-adkins/7/, Dissected: Jimmy Eat World (with Jim Adkins), Caffrey; Kaye; Gerber, Dan; Ben; Justin, 2021-07-23, https://consequence.net, 2022-03-24,
- https://www.mtv.com/news/1536957/jimmy-eat-world-teaming-up-with-nirvana-producer-for-next-lp/, Jimmy Eat World Teaming Up With Nirvana Producer For Next LP, Montgomery, James, 2006-07-24, MTV, MTV, 2022-03-24,
- http://bbs.jimmyeatworld.com/blog/index.php, Band Blog, Jimmy Eat World, 2007-10-09, Jimmy Eat World, Jimmy Eat World, 2021-05-16, 10.09.07 vancouver, bc. day off. i was asked to write a blurb for journalists ( is "blurb" in the book?) about each of the songs. here is as concise as i can get about each tune without trampling on what you might make of it for yourself. we have never thought it was our job to explain songs. that is a rant for another time. but, after a few people asking me questions about the tunes and having really, really off base interpretations i thought it may be a good idea to at least point people in a closer direction. so, spoiler alert. i guess. 1. Big Casino-A loser anthem. Song about disgruntled burn-out dreams of success and what they would do with it. 2. Let It Happen-Always wanted to write an “I ain’t missing you”-- feigning strength as a defense song. 3.Always Be- about co-dependancy; vulnerability exploited. 4. Carry You-With distance and time, it becomes easier to invent qualities that may not have existed in a relationship. And to falsely believe those qualities could be included in a current version of the relationship. 5. Electable (Give It Up)-Frustration with the lack of intelligent political discourse in America. Why is attempting to polarize such an effective distraction from accountability? 6. Gotta Be Somebody’s Blues-A song about apathy. Oppression is an abstraction and thought of as someone else’s problem… until it’s you that finds yourself defending your rights. 7. Felling Lucky-A bar brawl song. Another loser anthem. yup. 8. Here It Goes-Know what is truly important to you. Don’t lose sight of that in the face of opportunity OR in the face of desperation. 9. Chase This Light-Becoming self-aware in the middle of a special experience. The “chase” is trying to find that feeling of discovery. of challange. 10. Firefight-Because it is new, everything is a big deal. 11. Dizzy-Unspoken awkwardness when two people are faced with their past. jim back to topPosted On: Oct 09, 2007 by Jim, https://web.archive.org/web/20071012192957/http://bbs.jimmyeatworld.com/blog/index.php?varDay=all, 2007-10-12