Electable (Give It Up)
I came up like everyone, they taught us all the same
I said what they told me to say, and then from that they grade
Give up repeating the facts, fact could be arranged
Here I am, I'll take my chance
Now play the record straight
Now give it up!
Oh oh oh...
Give it up!
Oh oh oh...
Talking points from talking heads with automated smiles
There's no higher ground to stand than bottom of the pile
Give up acting unaware, you can't ignore the crime
The enemy is you as well, the enemy is I
Not in my name, you don't speak for me
I am my voice, and I want to scream
You want my air, you want my life
I act as one, but I'm not alone
Reflecting on Electable (Give It Up) Jim Adkins said the song is about "Frustration with the lack of intelligent political discourse in America. Why is attempting to polarize such an effective distraction from accountability?" 
Reception with Charting Data/Certification/Sales Data
- Amy Ross – additional vocals
- Finn Adkins – additional vocals
- Jackson Adkins – additional vocals
- Ava Lind – additional vocals
- John Fields – keyboard, additional bass
A version of this song from the Tempe Sessions appears on Chase This Light Japanese Deluxe edition. This version is slightly shorter at 2:49 long.
- http://bbs.jimmyeatworld.com/blog/index.php, Band Blog, Jimmy Eat World, 2007-10-09, Jimmy Eat World, Jimmy Eat World, 2021-05-16, 10.09.07 vancouver, bc. day off. i was asked to write a blurb for journalists ( is "blurb" in the book?) about each of the songs. here is as concise as i can get about each tune without trampling on what you might make of it for yourself. we have never thought it was our job to explain songs. that is a rant for another time. but, after a few people asking me questions about the tunes and having really, really off base interpretations i thought it may be a good idea to at least point people in a closer direction. so, spoiler alert. i guess. 1. Big Casino-A loser anthem. Song about disgruntled burn-out dreams of success and what they would do with it. 2. Let It Happen-Always wanted to write an “I ain’t missing you”-- feigning strength as a defense song. 3.Always Be- about co-dependancy; vulnerability exploited. 4. Carry You-With distance and time, it becomes easier to invent qualities that may not have existed in a relationship. And to falsely believe those qualities could be included in a current version of the relationship. 5. Electable (Give It Up)-Frustration with the lack of intelligent political discourse in America. Why is attempting to polarize such an effective distraction from accountability? 6. Gotta Be Somebody’s Blues-A song about apathy. Oppression is an abstraction and thought of as someone else’s problem… until it’s you that finds yourself defending your rights. 7. Felling Lucky-A bar brawl song. Another loser anthem. yup. 8. Here It Goes-Know what is truly important to you. Don’t lose sight of that in the face of opportunity OR in the face of desperation. 9. Chase This Light-Becoming self-aware in the middle of a special experience. The “chase” is trying to find that feeling of discovery. of challange. 10. Firefight-Because it is new, everything is a big deal. 11. Dizzy-Unspoken awkwardness when two people are faced with their past. jim back to topPosted On: Oct 09, 2007 by Jim, https://web.archive.org/web/20071012192957/http://bbs.jimmyeatworld.com/blog/index.php?varDay=all, 2007-10-12